I'm a strong believer that home made food is the best, healthier and cheapest option to feed a baby. And here is an article to show you that it can also be super easy and fast to make when you have the right tools, and trust me if you have a kitchen in your home you already have the right tools.
By Melissa Gosser
While committing to making your own baby food is the perfect excuse to run to Sur La Table, you probably have most of the essentials in your kitchen already.
All you need are the six items below, some fresh fruits, vegetables and meats, and you’ll be on your way to making gourmet baby food in no time.
- Steamer : A good old pot and steamer basket will do just fine to soften tough fruits and vegetables. Make sure the lid is tight fitting to keep in all the good nutrients.
- Food processor/Blender : Puree, blend or mash steamed food to the perfect consistency/texture.
- Oxo Food Mill : Unlike the food processor and blender, this tool takes off skins and seeds. It’s great for making apple sauce!
- Munchkin Fresh Food Grinder from Target : Use this to grind up meats and textured foods. It’s portable, so you can make food on the go.
- Masher : A fork is the perfect masher. Use in place of a blender to get a chunkier consistency.
- Storage containers : With these, you can make large portions ahead of time, divide up into ice cube trays and freeze. (Ice cube trays make the perfect serving size for little bellies). Once frozen, pop out, transfer to the storage containers, label and date.
Need some inspiration? The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet is a great resource for delicious and nutritious homemade baby food. Consult your pediatrician before starting solids to discuss what foods and consistencies are appropriate for each stage.
Then, grab your tools and channel your inner chef.