Buy These Things First
Unless you habitually run marathons on zero hours of sleep — taking breaks only to puree peas — it’s tough to be totally prepared for parenthood.
Luckily, prepping your nursery is one thing you can do ahead of time. Even if you’re planning on waiting to know your baby’s sex, there are a few gender-neutral items that you can and should grab now. Take a look:
1) Crib – Once you’ve finalized your budget, select your crib first and then build out your nursery from there. The style of your crib will determine the look and feel of the rest of the room. If you’re thinking about using a crib from another family member, be sure to double (and triple) check to make sure it matches up with current safety regulations.
2) Mobile- Aesthetically pleasing, and really, your newborn’s first true toy, a mobile ties your whole nursery together. If you’re crafty, this is a great DIY project to add a personal touch. If, like us, you need a little help, you can try the DIY balloon mobile ($47) kit from Etsy. You’ll get all the satisfaction of creating something on your own without having to make multiple trips to Michaels.
3) Changing Table- Serving as Diaper Duty HQ, your changing table is a place where you’ll need to store a good amount of stuff. (Think diapers, wipes, cream, and more diapers.) Keep that in mind when you’re thinking about how you want to organize.
4) Diaper Genie ® - This is a must-have. It doesn’t just lock in odor – it also protects against odor-causing bacteria. We think the Diaper Genie is unrivaled with its hands-free opening foot pedal and easy, mess-free refill film. Need we say more?
5) Rocking Chair - A necessity for feeding and nursing, a rocking chair is a mom’s new best friend. (Let’s be real. They’re so comfortable – you’d want one even if you weren’t expecting.) Go with what feels best for you. Whether you like a sturdier chair or, if you’re like us, the fluffiest one you can find, it’s imperative to be comfortable and safe when feeding your baby.
Since you’re going to spend a lot of time there after your baby’s arrival, we think you have carte blanche to make the nursery your new favorite room.